A Parklet is a small space serving as an extension of the pavement to provide amenity and greenspace for people using the street
Streets have multiple functions, they are not just for vehicles. Parklets contribute to this idea. They are important for retail and commercial business, places for people to enjoy, they add diversity, provide landscaping features, add amenity, add to quality to our daily experiences, contribute to creating a pleasant place to live and strengthens our community.
A public amenity space, welcome to all, which:
- Increases street greening
- Improves public amenity
- Opportunity to activate the streetscape
- Strengthens community
- Fosters neighbourhood interaction
- Can be outdoor dining space
- Supports local businesses
- Increases active transport
- Activates streets
- Improves streetscape amenity including comfortable seating
- Can contain public art
- Calming, relaxing space
- A place to sit, rest, enjoy, socialize, take a coffee, eat, hangout
- COVID-19 distancing is required in accordance with government requirements
Did you know?
Parklets have been shown to increase foot traffic, and sometimes revenues for adjacent businesses, contribute to a better economy, and increase people stopping and sitting.
Last modified: April 13, 2021